Deadly bacteria could be lurking in your dishwasher, new research reveals. The kitchen staple can contain everything from E.coli, which causes life-threatening food poisoning, to other pathogens linked to infections of the urinary tract, skin and inner heart lining, a Slovenian study found.
- Dishwashers can contain E.coli, which causes life-threatening food poisoning
- Also has other pathogens linked to infections of the urinary tract and skin
- These can be fatal in people with reduced immune systems, like cancer patients
- Pathogens likely enter dishwashers via tap water and contaminated food
- Reduce infection risk by letting dishwashers cool down before opening them